Monday, September 22, 2008

Lots of hats

Last Christmas our Kiwanis Club adopted the Head Start kids in Jonesborough. We had a great time buying gifts and they came to one of our meetings and sang carols to us.

I had knitted a few hats on my loom knitter and included some of them to be distributed. This year, I wanted to make sure I had enough made, so on August 28 I made an appointment in my Outlook that said "Make Hat." I have it recurring every three days until Dec 1. If I follow the schedule I will have 30 hats made.

Unfortunately (fortunately??, I don't know which), the schedule got messed up. Tony ended up in the hospital the day after Labor Day with 2 90+% blockages. He was in for 3 days and I ended up with about 5 nervously made hats. He's doing well now and started cardic rehab today. I'm now the "Food Nazi" watching everything he eats.

So today (9.22) I should have 9 completed hats. Instead, I finished number 14 yesterday and started #15. I figure I'll have about 40 done by 12.1.
I'm going to make an appeal on FreeCycle to take anyone's little bits and pieces of Homespun yarn. I like taking the different colors and making a hat with them. And hopefully we'll have a little cold weather and some kids will have warm ears. Either way, I'm having fun.

Here's what I have done so far.
All of them.


Close-up 1



Close-up 2


Close-up 3


Close-up 4

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

what a great project! i wish you the best of luck with meeting your goal of 40 hats!

BYRSTN said...

Thanks...I know some people don't think loom knitting is "real" knitting, but if I'm to succeed I have to be fast and it's fast. It takes me 2-3 hours to follow a simple dishcloth knitting pattern. LOL
Betty

Granny Sue said...

They're beautiful, Betty. What a thoughtful thing to do.